In-house Clinical Negligence Solicitor
Job Title: Solicitor – Clinical Negligence – In-house
Salary: £60k circa (1 year fixed term contract) plus excellent benefits and flexi hours
Reports to: Director of Legal and Regulatory Services
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Solicitor – Clinical Negligence, to join this well-known professional membership organisation based in central London. The main purpose of the role is to have conduct of clinical negligence complaints and claims. This extends from providing preliminary advice on the phone and in writing, investigating concerns raised about professional members and responding and managing the claim appropriately.
Duties and key responsibilities
- draft and write responses to patients and claimants’ solicitors
- advise and prepare responses to various bodies (NHS and others) for members
Case preparation and management in relation to clinical claims:
- prepare witness statements and organise bundles for trial
- organise and arrange meetings with members, experts and counsel
- instruct counsel, experts, liaise with other side’s counsel, collate evidence
Case management and preparation for civil cases:
- responsible for case correspondence
- instruct external solicitors, where appropriate, and liaise with them
- instruct experts and report to insurers and, at times, the membership Board
- arrange conferences with counsel, experts and members
- advise on negotiating settlements and recovery of costs
- attend at hearings and mediations on behalf of members
Promote the work of the team
- Promote the work of the team where possible by ensuring relevant information is circulated within the team for possible wider circulation across the organisation.
- Assist with the preparation, maintenance and delivery of know-how materials including articles, presentations, updates, amendments and additions to website where appropriate
- Be proactive in keeping up to date with developments affecting your work at hand and maintain and improve personal competence through continuous professional development.
- Be proactive in keeping up to date with wider membership activities and strategy.
- Operate within organisational policies, codes of conduct and practice and work collaboratively with staff across the association.
- Contribute to team meetings and organisational priorities, strategic goals and Performance targets
- Be flexible and carry out other associated duties as may arise, develop or be assigned within the broad remit of the post.
- A minimum of 5 years post qualified
Skills and abilities:
- Strong negotiating skills
- Clear verbal communication skills face to face and on the phone including the ability to communicate clearly and assertively with a wide range of people
- Giving detailed and complex advice to clients in a clear and accessible format
- Analytical, prioritising and decision making skills
- Plan and manage a complex workload, meet deadlines and respond to unplanned demands.
- Ability to read complex information, summarise and to present complex information
- Clear writing and drafting skills with emphasis on accuracy in letters, calculations, preparing cases, opinions, reports and correspondence.
- Persuasion, negotiation, advocacy and diplomatic skills
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook
- Highly organised with an ability to maintain effective record keeping systems
- Networking, partnership skills that are persuasive and influential of others
- Legal research skills to include summarising and tailoring advice to fit the members’ specific needs
- How to assess risk management in cases
- Clear understanding of professional integrity and confidentiality in delivering advice
- Some experience within the medical sector desirable
- A law degree
Personal attributes and other requirements:
- Self-motivated, ability to juggle priorities and work both alone and part of a team?
- Flexible and adaptable with the ability to work in a changing environment and manage multiple work activities, projects and deadlines.
- Committed to achieving a high-quality service with good attention to detail
- Committed to personal development through actively developing this role and the team as a whole
- Confident and assertive whilst approachable and client-friendly
- Ability to work as a team
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.