Solicitior – Professional Discipline
Job Type :
Job Title: Solicitor – Professional Discipline
Reports To: Head of Professional Discipline
The purpose of the post is providing the best advice and representation to the organisation’s members. Also, to manage a caseload, of GOC cases and general enquiries from the outset to the conclusion.
This directorate assists, defends and represent members in a variety of forums including but not limited to the GOC, NHSE and High Court proceedings.
Duties and key responsibilities
- Provide best advice and representations to AOP members in a wide range of forums, particularly but not limited to:
- NHS Disputes, GOC investigations, GOC Hearings, and Consultations.
- Manage and have conduct of own portfolio of cases; work includes provision of legal advice, drafting of documents, case preparation and management including instruction of experts and Counsel, and some advocacy
- Ensure all new matters (enquiries and complaints) allocated are quickly and appropriately considered.
- Ensure members are contacted promptly when a case is allocated.
- Provide consistently accurate advice by keeping up to date with new legislation, cases
- Maintain case records ensuring they meet quality and data recording standards.
- Take part in legal telephone rota
- Attend regular case reviews with the Head of Professional Discipline.
Promote the work of the team:
- Promote the work of the team where possible by ensuring relevant information is circulated within the team for possible wider circulation across the organisation.
- Assist with the preparation, maintenance and delivery of know-how materials including articles, presentations, updates, amendments and additions to website where appropriate
- Be proactive in keeping up to date with developments affecting your work at hand and maintain and improve personal competence through continuous professional development.
- Be proactive in keeping up to date with wider AOP activities and strategy.
- Operate within organisational policies, codes of conduct and practice and work collaboratively with staff across the association.
- Contribute to team meetings and organisational priorities, strategic goals and Performance targets
- Be flexible and carry out other associated duties as may arise, develop or be assigned within the broad remit of the post.
Qualification and Experience:
- Qualified solicitor with a minimum of 3 years post qualified experience.
Skills and abilities:
- Clear verbal communication skills face to face and on the phone including the ability to communicate clearly and assertively with a wide range of people
- Giving detailed and complex advice to clients in a clear and accessible format
- Analytical, prioritising and decision making skills
- Plan and manage a complex workload, meet deadlines and respond to unplanned demands.
- Ability to read complex information, summarise and to present complex information
- Clear writing skills with emphasis on accuracy in letters, calculations, preparing cases, opinions, reports and correspondence.
- Persuasion, negotiation, advocacy and diplomatic skills
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook
- Highly organised with an ability to maintain effective record keeping systems
- Networking, partnership skills that are persuasive and influential of others
- Legal research skills to include summarising and tailoring advice to fit the members’ specific needs
- Knowledge of current legal and regulatory legislation applicable to the sector, desirable
- How to assess risk management in cases
- Clear understanding of professional integrity and confidentiality in delivering advice
Personal attributes and other requirements:
- Self-motivated, ability to juggle priorities and work both alone and
- Flexible and adaptable with the ability to work in a changing environment and manage multiple work activities, projects and deadlines.
- Committed to achieving a high-quality service with good attention to detail
- Committed to personal development through actively developing this role and the team as a whole
- Confident and assertive whilst approachable and client friendly
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org