Job Type :
Job Title: Managing Director
Reporting To: The Board and its chairman, Jeff Smith
To be responsible for establishing with the Board an agreed Business Plan and set of targets capable of delivering the medium-term goals of JSD and for leading the company to successful achievement of these goals.
To be responsible for delivering “The JSD Promise” to clients; staff and shareholders. In other words, to be the overall driver of:
- Marketing and Sales
- Operations; Logistics and Service Delivery
- The overall Financial Management of the company and the achievement of its financial goals
- The Development of the Organisation and People within the company
and to lead the company to successful achievement of its goals in a manner consistent with the ethos and spirit of the JSD business.
As the day to day Head of business, the individual needs to have the entrepreneurial passion; expertise and vision necessary to make the overall delivery capability of the business as strong; innovative and competitive as the business’s currently more established and recognised strengths in Design, Sales and Marketing.
- Develop, recommend and agree with the Board, a mid-term strategy and implementation plan for the accelerated growth of JSD in the UK and internationally, working in tandem with the Board and other Senior Management and aligning the whole Team behind this objective.
- Shape and lead the development of the organisation and the people within the company in accordance with the spirit and the culture of JSD.
- Ensure the establishment of a systems and process infrastructure capable of providing the necessary security; efficiency and compliance required to achieve the overall business goals.
- Develop and maintain a more joined up and transparent mode of business activity.
- Manage and motivate the respective departmental teams to succeed and establish effective working relationships at all levels of the business and structure the teams for accelerated growth.
- Shape, develop, recommend and implement a commercial strategy to capitalise on the product, brand and channel requirements and opportunities.
- Working with the Marketing and Sales Director, to expand the client base of JSD both within the UK and internationally so as to accelerate the profitable growth of JSD at least in line with the Business Plan goals.
- Deliver the ‘JSD Promise’ – lead the development and implementation of an innovative entrepreneurially driven Supply Strategy. Assume responsibility for the overall day to day company affairs.
- Assume overall financial management of the company and be responsible for the achievement of the agreed financial goals – drive and optimize the delivery of the P&L.
- Develop, recommend and on agreement, implement appropriate Capex and Opex investment programmes, relevant to the size of the company, to ensure that the business has sufficient resources as and when required to support its planned programme of growth
Strategy and Development
- In conjunction with the Board, to formulate and agree short, medium and long-term strategic goals for the business. Oversee and provide guidance to all functions in the development of the specific plans, targets and financial implications of achieving these goals. To proactively and energetically lead the overall implementation of these plans.
- Identify, prioritise and implement strategic commercial approaches with the aim of securing commercial advantage over competitors and identify and ensure robust responses are in place to meet strategic commercial risks.
Leadership & People Development
- Assess the skill sets and expertise of the current teams and structure the business for accelerated growth.
- Ensure that all members of the management teams are sufficiently competent; motivated and equipped to carry out their roles, setting development plans for individuals to reach his/her optimum performance.
- Promote a participatory management style and ensure that a dynamic and positive working atmosphere and environment is experienced throughout the business.
- Lead by example to perpetuate the best of the JSD culture; positively and effectively communicate the company objectives and spirit to the teams.
Marketing and Sales
- In conjunction with the Board and the Marketing & Sales Director to ensure the establishment and implementation of a clearly communicated set of Brand Values and U.S.P.s consistent with the achievement of the business goals and targets.
- Working with the Marketing and Sales Director ensure the establishment of a Sales Team and set of sales processes capable; motivated and suitably managed to fully achieve the targeted revenue and margin growth of the business.
- Responsible for formulating and agreeing with the Board the annual budget, ensuring that revenue flows are maximised at all opportunities. Maximise margin opportunities across the business.
- Deliver the agreed level of profit for the business in line with expectations whilst managing the control of all variable costs, creating long term brand value.
- Identify potential funding implications of both the strategic plans and budget and recommend appropriate solutions.
- Drive the Establishment and Implementation of a robust; innovative and highly competitive supply strategy capable of delivering the margin and service requirements of the short, medium and longer-term business goals.
- Drive a service orientated proactive approach to delivering a well-tuned operations machine from production to logistics, ensuring that IT and infrastructure can support the growth.
- Review in detail the current back office modus operandi and put in place the appropriate processes to ensure cost effective and resilient operations underpin the business.
Reporting and Analysis
- Responsible for managing timely, accurate and informative reviews and analysis of new commercial opportunities, category movement and competitor activity.
- Ensure the concise forecasting of sales and accurate qualitative and quantitative feedback of how the product, marketing and branding messages are performing in each channel against budget, highlighting variances and recommending actions.
- Ensure robust measurement processes are in place with defined measurable targets to monitor objectives across all channels.
- A highly entrepreneurial commercially savvy, hands-on experienced COO/CFO/Operations Director with a passion for ensuring the effective delivery of top quality products and services to highly demanding, brand conscious clients. An individual who takes pride in attention to detail and the balancing of a world class performance of the supply and operational aspects of a business to match those of the front end i.e. Marketing; Sales and Design, so as to enhance the company’s overall competitiveness and attraction to current and potential clients.
- The business is both entrepreneurial and commercially focused, with a strong emphasis on delivering quality products. He/she will ideally therefore have an entrepreneurial nature and a background of working in and helping to develop vibrant companies in the SME sector to achieve the next phase in their growth plans. He/she will ideally have a strong financial underpinning to their skill set combined with operations/logistics, IT, production and delivery experience.
- The individual should be highly results driven with an unashamed passion for the creation of an innovative well-oiled world class operations and delivery machine for all the production and service aspects within a business. He/she will possess excellent negotiation skill with the ability to maximise the margin for a business without compromising the quality product offer.
- An individual with good emotional antennae, who will be able to provide clear and effective direction at all levels. He/she will have proven experience in driving on a consistent basis, a consumer focused company, with the ability to lead a dynamic team to deliver a real step change in scope and scale.
- The individual will possess strong interpersonal skills capable of harnessing the talent within the business to achieve even greater success and able to inspire others to want to achieve the goals and targets set for them, engaging collaboratively and influencing at all levels.
- A real entrepreneurial spirit and an individual with sound business acumen, preferably with experience of working in a non-corporate style of organisation. A strong multichannel/retail and customer service focus would be ideal. Experience of working at a senior level in a founder-owned business would also be an advantage.
- The successful candidate will be an energetic, hands-on, inspirational individual with a demonstrable track record of delivering excellent results and with the ability to think bigger and out of the box.
- The ideal candidate will be highly financially literate (although not necessarily a qualified accountant); he/she will have had general management experience either as a Key Director or COO of an SME company and will have a profound knowledge of manufacturing, logistics, supply chain/operational organisation and IT/Infrastructure development. Experience of helping to develop brands/products in multichannel and international markets would be an advantage.
- He/she should be able to demonstrate a considered risk management and entrepreneurial approach to developing businesses with strong commercial nous and a focus on driving profitable growth businesses.
- He/she will be ambitious, driven and highly customer focused. The successful candidate will be results orientated and capable of delivering significant and sustained ROI for the company, its owners and its people.
- A strong understanding of the requirements for equipping a business for accelerated expansion with good strategic planning skills and executional experience.
- Strong leadership capabilities with proven ability to build, inspire and motivate teams to succeed.
- A clear, logical and strategic mind-set is critical with an ability to work with different teams and to engage and communicate well with all members of the Board and at all levels of the company, adding real value to a business.
- A strategic thinker who thinks in the round.
- An entrepreneur at heart capable of thinking “outside of the box” and of an innovative nature.
- Ambitious, forward thinking and driven by success.
- Pragmatic, adaptable and flexible in style.
- Sound commercial judgement with common sense.
- Highly organised and structured with a real eye for detail.
- An inspirational and motivational individual with presence.
- Effective influencing skills and strong presentational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to build effective team relationships.
- Energetic, enthusiastic and passionate.
- Resilient and resourceful.
- Well organised, disciplined and “hands on“ when appropriate.
- Honest, with integrity and a robust set of values.
- A sense of humour.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org