Commercial Business Manager – Medical Research and Education
Job Title: Commercial Business Manager – Medical Research and Education
Salary: £34,000-£37,000 pro rata annual salary with bonus for performance – 30 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays pro rata – Employer pension contributions
Hours: 3-4 days a week (flexible)
Reports to: Cheif Executive Officer
A unique opportunity has arisen for an aspiring Commercial Business Manager to coordinate and manage effectively and efficiently the commercial operations of this contract research organisation, which operates in an academic setting based in central London for the benefit of a prestigious charitable medical-research foundation. The ideal candidate will have a Ph.D. or similar higher degree in a biomedical or related field and be looking to develop and harness their skills in contract management, business development, and marketing in the university medical-research and education sectors working with clients from relevant industries.
(a) To coordinate and manage effectively and efficiently the Company’s commercial and contract-research activities.
(b) To promote the Company’s business interests and manage its marketing operations, including primary responsibility for the website.
(c) To provide a pro-active and reliable contract-management administration service to ensure the success of the Company’s activities.
(d) To represent the Company with internal and external contacts to further its business activities and growth strategy.
- To coordinate and project manage the Company’s business activities, in particular its contract-research operations, clinical research fellowship programmes, and Continuing Medical Education courses for medical practitioners.
- To assist the CEO, Directors and QMUL Principal Investigators as necessary in the planning and delivery of these activities.
- To plan and manage the budgets for these activities.
- To utilize relevant IT systems in the management and delivery of these business activities.
- To maintain up-to-date databases on all relevant business activities and to compile and present reports to the Board and other stakeholders as necessary.
- To maintain up-to-date disease model protocols for contract-research services.
- To manage the Company’s trademark registrations.
- To assist with the organizing of educational events and conferences as part of a team, including registration and delegate payment-management services.
- To devise and deliver marketing initiatives to promote and support the Company’s business activities and growth strategy.
- To research new developments with potential clients.
- To maintain, manage and develop the Company website.
- To devise, produce and disseminate digital and print materials for marketing purposes.
- To investigate other aspects of the marketing mix as a way of encouraging new business.
- To prepare and submit proposals, and to draft, negotiate and proof-read contracts, with the timely and appropriate input of colleagues and expertise as required.
- To pro-actively monitor and performance-manage progress of work carried out by sub-contractors, liaising with the CEO, Directors, PIs, and clients as necessary.
- To advise on final reports where required, and to submit these reports to clients.
- To ensure with the Accountant the timely invoicing and payment of contractual services.
- To liaise with key contacts outside and inside QMUL to deliver efficiently and effectively the Company’s business operations.
- To build relations with and manage the Company’s cohort of clinical research fellows.
- To receive and visit clients and contacts to present and promote the Company’s business activities.
- To seek out and exploit new business opportunities within the scope of the Company’s growth strategy, by developing relations with and building networks of Principal Investigators and of commercial clients in the pharma, biotech, and private-hospital sectors.
- To engage the necessary support and expertise with internal and external contacts to deliver events and materials.
- To provide continuity and cover as necessary for the Company Secretary and Accountant.
- To undertake such other duties as may be reasonably expected.
- Ph.D. in a biomedical field
- Business-management and/or project management experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication and numeracy skills, and IT literacy
- Accuracy and reliable attention to detail
- Track record of being a self-starter, evidenced in roles requiring initiative, organisation, and delivery of projects on time and budget
- Track record of strong interpersonal skills, including effective influencing roles
- Commitment to high quality and efficient customer service
- Knowledge of the university medical-research or education sectors
- Working knowledge of research-grant systems
- Working knowledge of relevant intellectual-property issues
- Working knowledge of general HR operations
- Marketing experience, including digital and print media production and dissemination
- Experience planning and delivering educational programmes, conferences or events
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.